New Mexico Quick Facts
- New Mexico is a leading U.S. producer of crude oil and natural gas.
- New Mexico natural gas production accounts for close to one-tenth of the U.S. total.
- The San Juan Basin located in New Mexico and Colorado contains the Nation’s largest field of proved, natural gas reserves.
- New Mexico rivals Colorado and Wyoming as the Nation’s top coalbed methane producer, and approximately one-third of all natural gas produced in New Mexico is coalbed methane.
- The Blanco Hub, located in the San Juan Basin, is a major transportation point for Rocky Mountain natural gas supplies heading to West Coast markets.
- New Mexico’s Permian Basin holds three of the 100 largest oil fields in the United States.